Our essential beliefs are summed up in what are called The Covenant Affirmations. Their purpose is to make clear the values and principles that have guided Highrock since the beginning.
Highrock is a part of the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC). We know that, for many, the term “evangelical” is a difficult one. It is often associated with judgmentalism, division, political manipulation, and the mistreatment of women, people of color, and the LGBTQ+ community. People are right to be angry and suspicious because of many things done in the name of evangelicalism. And we are too. Our association with the term is a historic one. Historically, evangelicalism was characterized by four things:
- The belief that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ brings about God’s renewal of our world.
- The belief that lives need to be transformed through a life-long process of following Jesus.
- The belief that the Bible is central to informing our relationship with God and others.
- The belief that the teachings of Jesus are rightly expressed through social justice and community engagement.
Those four things are at the heart of who we are at Highrock, and we strongly condemn the sinful attitudes and actions that are so commonly linked with evangelicalism today.
We live out these values by being:
- Evangelical, but not exclusive
- Biblical, but not doctrinaire
- Traditional, but not rigid
- Congregational, but not independent
Our denomination, the ECC, is a rapidly growing multiethnic denomination in the United States and Canada with ministries on five continents of the world.